March 2-15, 2018
This trip is full. To inquire about a waiting list please use the contact form below.
This remarkable journey on NZ’s South Island could be your adventure of a lifetime! Working with local experts, we have selected a variety of the island’s most spectacular – and often most remote – destinations to explore. While including enough creature comforts to make this truly a world-class trip. By utilizing creative means of transportation when necessary, we are able to offer hikes which otherwise would be impossible without backpacking. The trip is suitable for anyone of intermediate physical abilities who enjoys the company of other adventurous spirits.
Check out these highlights!
- Guided hikes on 3 of the famous NZ Great Walks (Keplar, Routeburn, Milford), from our base on spectacular Lake Te Anau, including an overnight cruise on world-famous Milford Sound;
- 3 nights on Rakiura (Stewart Island) – famous for its rain forest, birdlife and remote beaches including a nocturnal hike in search of the elusive kiwi, a cross-island hike via sea plane, and a gentle day of strolls and picnic lunch on nearby Ulva Island, a predator-free bird sanctuary;
- The wild South Pacific coastline of the remote Catlins region including short hikes to dramatic overlooks and remote beaches;
- Short hikes on the Otago Peninsula, home to penguins, albatross, seals and more – including a visit to the Royal Albatross Centre;
- An evening stroll through Dunedin, one of NZ’s most beautiful and under-discovered cities;
- A final dinner together with a vintage steamship cruise to a working farm for a tour and a chef-prepared farm-to-table barbecue.
A NZ attaché will be with us throughout the trip to provide the local lore and cultural information that will help make this trip extra special. When time permits, individuals can partake, as a group or individually, in other optional activities. These might include bike riding, kayaking, various Queenstown excursions, swimming or just plain lazing somewhere glorious.
For pricing, day by day itinerary and other details of the amazing trip, click here!
To contact the leader or request an application package, complete this form:
This trip is approved and sponsored by the Appalachian Mountain Club Adventure Travel Program.